Jon Horwitz is an experienced criminal defense lawyer dedicated to helping people charged of a crime. He provides honest, straightforward advice and advocacy in order to get the best possible result for each client.
Jon obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Chemistry from Indiana University – Bloomington and a Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Cincinnati College of Law.
While attending law school, Jon completed an externship with the Cincinnati Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) as well as a judicial externship with Judge Burton Perlman of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio. Jon also worked part-time with the Hamilton County (Ohio) Probate Court and was a law clerk with a Cincinnati law firm specializing in secured transactions under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC).
After graduating from law school, Jon began a distinguished career with the Montgomery County (Ohio) Prosecutor’s Office, lasting more than ten years. During his time with the prosecutor’s office, Jon successfully prosecuted hundreds of cases in the office’s Child Support Enforcement Division, Child Protection Unit, Juvenile Delinquency Division, Grand Jury/Preliminary Hearing Division, Criminal Division as a Felony Docket Attorney, and Fraud and Economic Crimes Unit. During his last four years with the prosecutor’s office, Jon specialized in prosecuting complex white-collar crimes, including cases involving mortgage fraud, embezzlement, food stamp fraud, workers’ compensation fraud, insurance fraud, contractor fraud, securities fraud, power-of-attorney fraud, tax fraud, elder abuse, and identity theft. Jon successfully tried a number of high-profile complex criminal cases against many of Southwestern Ohio’s preeminent attorneys. He has also successfully tried felony cases involving DUI, robbery, burglary, rape, kidnapping, felonious assault, and drug charges.
Jon’s experience as a prosecutor gives him unique insight into what the prosecution is likely thinking in a particular case, allowing him to anticipate the prosecution’s next move. This knowledge helps Jon get the best possible outcome for his clients.
Jon currently lives in Centerville with his wife and two children. He is a former youth soccer and basketball coach. He continues to play soccer and is an avid fan of the sport.
- Ohio, 1997
- S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1998
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- 53rd Annual Course on Criminal Law – Northwestern University School of Law, Chicago, IL (week-long) (1999)
- Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association Spring Training Seminar (2000)
- Prosecutor’s Law Enforcement Seminar (1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007)
- Advanced Detection, Apprehension, and Prosecution of Persons Under the Influence of Alcohol (2001)
- Shaken Baby Syndrome (2002)
- Assessing Danger in Domestic Violence (2002)
- National Advocacy Center – Cross-Examination, Columbia, SC (week-long) (2004)
- Annual Criminal Law Seminar, Dayton Bar Association, 2005 (Panelist)
- Ohio State Highway Patrol – Criminal Patrol Seminar (2006)
- National Advocacy Center – Identity Theft, Columbia, SC (week-long)(2006)
- Ohio Arson Seminar, Columbus, OH (2006)
- Juvenile Court Attorney Certification Training (2008)
- Criminal Law Certification Seminar (2009)
- Juvenile Law Update (2009, 2011)
- Greene County Bar Criminal Law Seminar (2010)
- Corrections Today (2010)
- Felony Pretrial/Prosecutorial Diversion Program (2011)
- Addictions: Appropriate Continuum of Services (2011)
- Autopsy Case Selection (2011)
- Human Trafficking and the Law (2011)
- House Bill 86 (2011)
- Civil Justice for Victims of Crime in Ohio (2012)
- Getting Scientific & Expert Testimony Admitted into Evidence (2012)
- Elder Abuse/Nursing Home Litigation (2012)
- Pulled Over: Will it be a DUI? (2012)
- Criminal Law Update (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Warren County Common Pleas Drug Court (2016)
- Juvenile Law (2016)
Honors and Awards
- Martindale- Hubbell BV Rating, 2006 – present
- Avvo, Rating of Excellent
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dayton Bar Association, Member, 1998 – 2011
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member, 1997 – Present
- Member of Juvenile Law Committee (2015 – Present)