Location: Springboro, Ohio
Phone: (937) 750-8808
Fax: (937) 748-8409
Jon Horwitz is an experienced criminal defense lawyer dedicated to helping people charged of a crime. He is dedicated to providing honest, straightforward advice and advocacy in order to get the best possible result for each client.
Jon obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Chemistry from Indiana University – Bloomington and a Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Cincinnati College of Law.
While attending law school, Jon completed an externship with the Cincinnati Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) as well as a judicial externship with Judge Burton Perlman of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio. Jon also worked part-time with the Hamilton County (Ohio) Probate Court and was a law clerk with a Cincinnati law firm specializing in secured transactions under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC).
After graduating from law school, Jon began a distinguished career with the Montgomery County (Ohio) Prosecutor’s Office, lasting more than ten years. During his time with the prosecutor’s office, Jon successfully prosecuted hundreds of cases in the office’s Child Support Enforcement Division, Child Protection Unit, Juvenile Delinquency Division, Grand Jury/Preliminary Hearing Division, Criminal Division as a Felony Docket Attorney, and Fraud and Economic Crimes Unit. During his last four years with the prosecutor’s office, Mr. Horwitz specialized in prosecuting complex white collar crimes, including cases involving mortgage fraud, embezzlement, food stamp fraud, workers compensation fraud, insurance fraud, contractor fraud, securities fraud, power-of-attorney fraud, tax fraud, elder abuse, and identity theft. Jon successfully tried a number of high-profile complex criminal cases against many of Southwestern Ohio’s preeminent attorneys. He has also successfully tried felony cases involving DUI, robbery, burglary, rape, kidnapping, felonious assault, and drug charges.
Jon’s experience as a prosecutor gives him unique insight into what the prosecution is likely thinking in a particular case, allowing him to anticipate the prosecution’s next move. This knowledge helps Jon get the best possible outcome for his clients.
Jon currently lives in Centerville with his wife and two children. He coaches basketball through the Centerville Hustle organization and is a former soccer coach. He continues to play soccer and is an avid fan of the sport.
Areas of Practice
- Ohio, 1997
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1998
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Annual Criminal Law Seminar, Dayton Bar Association, 2005
Honors and Awards
- Martindale- Hubbell BV Rating, 2006 – 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dayton Bar Association, Member, 1998 – Present
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member, 1997 – Present
- Warren County Bar Association, Member, 2009 – Present
- Greene County Bar Association, Member, 2009 – Present
- American Bar Association, Member , 1997 – 2004
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Member , 1997 – 1998
- American Bankruptcy Law Forum, Member, 2009 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, 1998 – 2008